Chäteau de Montjézieu in the Lot ValleyChâteau de Montjézieu - Lot Valley
©Château de Montjézieu - Lot Valley

Château de Montjézieu

Castle overlooking the Lot river from its rocky outcrop.

Château de Montjézieu has seen many twists and turns in its long life. Unfortunately, it is difficult to know its exact history, as most of the archives concerning it were lost during the Second World War.

All about

the château de montjézieu

The existence of a castle on this site, then belonging to the King of Aragon, is attested as early as the 12th century. In the 13th century, it belonged to the bishop of Mende. In the first half of the 16th century, it came into the possession of the Jurquet de la Salle family, Counts of Combret and Barons of Montjézieu, who also owned Château de la Salle, 2 km north of Montjézieu, which you can still visit today.

The story

château de montjézieu

Château de Montjézieu was twice occupied by Protestants during the Wars of Religion, in 1577 and 1587.

During the 17th century, it became a den of brigands. Gévaudan was emerging from a succession of wars that had lasted over a hundred years. Bands of bandits took advantage of this situation to roam the countryside and pillage its inhabitants. Two famous bands of looters were active at this time, one occupying the now-defunct Tour de Saint-Germain du Teil, the other the Château de Montjézieu. These gangs were under the command of local gentlemen, as revealed by several trials in which men of the seigneur de Canilhac and Jean Jurquet were found guilty, with some of the family members themselves being incriminated.

Once the problem had been cleared up after many years of prosecutions, battles and trials, the fortifications of the château and village were destroyed in 1655 to prevent a recurrence. These had been built in the mid-14th century under threat from the English during the Hundred Years’ War. Today, the château is a private residence.


The Château de Montjézieu is a composite building built and restored over several eras. You’ll notice an imposing, rectangular, three-storey limestone keep with machicolations, a corbelled structure with openings for defending the building with arrows, as well as archways or loopholes visible at the very top of the building.

The keep was restored in 1726 by Jean-George Jurquet, who took advantage of the opportunity to build an adjoining dwelling. Restoration work was also carried out between 1965 and 1968. The facades and roofs of the keep and the two main buildings, as well as the staircase of the courtyard to the east of the keep and the terrace, have been listed as Historic Monuments since 1971.

All about the castle

de Montjézieu

in the Lot Valley

Discover also ...